Here at the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, we are dedicated to maintaining a great experience for every candidate interviewing remotely. We've created a series of tips to best support you throughout your remote hiring journey, and help you get to know CZI!
At CZI, we work on some of the toughest challenges, and we are looking for talent to share our vision of creating a future for everyone. We hire people from different backgrounds and experiences that can learn fast, stay close to the real problems, be daring and humble, build for the long term, and utilize collaboration as a tool. These values drive forward our meaningful work.
Hear from our employees on why now is the time to consider an opportunity on our team.
Learn about our COVID-19 Response Efforts
CZI is committed to ensuring the health of our team, our community, and all those impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic with the full strength of our organization. We are committed to supporting the extraordinary efforts of people and partners who are joining forces to fight the virus and working on the frontlines during this pandemic.
Tips to Prepare for your Zoom Interview
Take yourself on a virtual tour of our office in downtown Redwood City with our Office Video.
Our culture begins with our employees, and we’re committed to not only building a diverse workforce, but also making sure that every person feels like they belong and are valued. We offer Employee Resource Groups that build community among our staff, and foster a safe and inclusive environment for personal and professional growth. We also have employee-led clubs like Toastmasters and fitness bootcamps, to allow employees to build out their skills and maintain their wellness.
CZI employees also shape our culture by leading programming that allows us to have fun outside of our day-to-day roles, including team-wide and org-wide happy hours, lunch and learns, volunteer opportunities, and offsites. Lived experiences, work experiences, and recreation, are all essential when it comes to building out and supporting the teams throughout our organization.
Annual Offsite Video
CZI hosts its annual org-wide offsite in January. We spend the day getting inspired and energized as we hear about the work we are doing across initiative areas from our colleagues and external partners.
Adapting to Remote Work
As we adapt to remote work, CZI employees continue to creatively foster and care for our culture from a distance. Here are some fun ways we have kept our employees connected:
- We have a periodic 15-minute, internal virtual talk show, focused on good news to start the day on a positive note
- We have offered “storybook time,” where we read a children’s book for our employees with kids — because CZI is a place for families too!
- We have led guided meditations by one of our CZI employees
- We’ve created slack messaging groups, like “remote-work-life” and “daily-gratitude” to discuss all things related to our new offices away from the office, and to get our daily dose of appreciation
- Our “Create In Place” group provides a weekly learning hour, where employees are invited to learn something new, interesting, and fun–taught to us by one of our colleagues
- Our Employee Resource groups have implemented covenings like “Afternoon Tea” with our Women’s Impact Network, where members hang out with a beverage of their choice, “Weekly KickBacks” for our Black Leadership & Knowledge group, and “Monthly Virtual Lunches” hosted by our Asian Resources & Community group
- Teams add fun to how we stay connected, with themed team meetings where we get together virtually to play a fun game and talk about our week!
Although we are apart, we continue to explore the ways to stay connected as a team, group, and organization during the remote work period at CZI. Although we are apart, we continue to explore the ways to stay connected as a team, group, and organization during the remote work period at CZI. Although we are apart, we continue to explore the ways to stay connected as a team, group, and organization during the remote work period at CZI.
Remote Life in Action: Good Morning CZI
Remote Life in Action: Children's Storybook Reading on Good Morning CZI
Remote Life in Action: Recruiting Team Happy Hour via Zoom
Remote Life in Action: Afternoon Tea with the Women’s Impact Network group
Remote Life in Action: Summer Interns Cohort 2
Remote Life in Action: Daily Guided Meditation
Care for our Employees
As we adapt to our new lifestyle of working, CZI continues to care for its employees so that they may take care of their whole selves, during an unprecedented time. In addition to our current benefits, we have rolled out enhanced benefits to help employees during this time:
- Generous time off, dedicated sick time for employees that may be impacted by Covid-19 or who may need time off from work to care for a loved one, and rejuvenation days to reset and recharge during this time of uncertainty.
- Mental wellness benefits through Modern Health, including 12 therapy sessions per employee per year, 12 coaching sessions per employee per year, and digital programming, including evidence-based courses and meditations
- Child, Adult, and Elder care support through Bright Horizons, including 10 uses of emergency back-up child, adult, and elder care per employee
- Enhanced 401k Matching
- Updated Fitness Reimbursement to include online and virtual class subscriptions as eligible expenses
- Stipend for employees to purchase necessary equipment for their home office
As we continue to work remotely, we are also actively hiring, and with that comes a remote onboarding process! Our New Hire Orientation takes place over four consecutive days: for the first three hours of each day, we provide new employees with the information and support needed to get started at CZI, followed by time to connect with their teams. With the shift to remote, we have implemented new hire “buddies,” a new hire cohort slack channel, a welcoming shoutout on our org-wide “Good Morning, CZI” show, and a virtual check-in after 30 days. Hear some of what our employees have to say about our remote onboarding process below!
Hear from our New Hires
“I am really impressed by the way CZI handled the remote onboarding process. Everything went seamlessly- from receiving our work equipment in the mail to the zoom meetings each day. I have never had such an easily digestible onboarding experience. Alicia and the team made all of the documents easily accessible and were quick to answer any questions. It was a great introduction to CZI and I honestly felt welcomed right away and at home with the new team.”
“I was pleasantly surprised how efficient and effective my onboarding process was during my transition to CZI. Both the recruiting and people teams were professional, candid, down to earth, and responsive to my questions/needs. I had no idea how virtual onboarding would actually work and anticipated it to be chaotic, however I was impressed with the coordination and collaboration of everyone who pulled it together.”
“During a time of heightened uncertainty, the recruiting team stepped up to provide a smooth, remote onboarding experience. I appreciate their creative approach to making my first couple weeks at CZI go as smoothly as possible. From shipping my IT equipment, to connecting me with experts and resources via remote video chat, to dedicated Slack channels for new-hires, I was able to feel a connectedness to CZI despite not having any in-person interactions.”
“I had no idea what to expect with remote onboarding, but I can honestly say that CZI knocked it out of the park and surpassed any expectations I had! Alicia Lam led an amazing 4-day onboarding and made me and the rest of my onboarding class immediately feel at home with her support and wisdom. My team also gave an incredibly warm welcome and introduction to my role over zoom calls and were quick to hop on a call whenever I had a question. Everything from the ease of selecting benefits, to the incredibly fast IT support, to fun Slack channels made this easily the best onboarding experience I’ve ever had! Thanks, CZI!”
“In this time of uncertainty the onboarding team did a great job providing us with all information and guidance we needed to start successfully. I felt a lot of support from everyone in the onboarding team and technical support team. In my opinion, although it was unusual, onboarding actually went very smoothly. I think I was among the first group to be onboarded remotely, but anyway I felt engaged and welcome and got all my questions resolved timely.”