The Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, LLC (“CZI,” “we,” “us”) was founded in 2015 to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease and improving education, to addressing the needs of our communities. Through collaboration, providing resources and building technology, our mission is to help build a more inclusive, just, and healthy future for everyone. CZI is a separate entity from Meta Platforms, Inc. (“Meta”).
2. Information We Collect About You
When you visit the Website, we collect the following information (collectively, “Website Visitor Information”):
- 2.1. From You
We collect certain information from you when you provide it to us directly. Specifically:
- Mailing list sign-up. When you sign up to receive our newsletter, you choose to provide us with certain personal identifiers, such as your real name, first and last, and your email address. CZI collects this information so that we can send you updates via email. We may combine this information with your internet or other electronic network activity on the Website.
- User Support. If you email any @chanzuckerberg.com email address, including those published on our Website, with a support request or comments, you may provide us with personal identifiers such as your real name, email address, contact information, and/or a description of the issue so that we can properly respond to the request or comment.
- Surveys and Feedback. If you decide to respond to a survey or send us feedback, we may collect personal identifiers and information about your interests or preferences.
- 2.2. From Your browser or Device
When you use online services, certain information routinely gets created and logged automatically; the same is true when you visit our Website. When you access our Website, we collect:
- Log data. When you visit our Website (whether on your computer or on a mobile device), we gather certain internet or other electronic network activity information automatically and store it in log files. This information includes your IP addresses, your Internet Service Provider, referring/exit pages, date/time stamps, clickstream data, login/logout times, and duration of time spent on our Website.
- Device data. In addition to log data, we collect information about the device you’re using to access the Website; this includes the type of device, browser type, operating system, settings, unique device identifiers, and crash data.
- 2.3. Job Applicants
- 2.4. Sensitive Personal Information
- 2.5. Other Services
3. Use of Your Data
CZI collects and uses your data for the following business purposes:
- 3.1. Website Visitor Information
We use the data we collect about visitors to our Website as follows:
- To provide and maintain the Website. We use the information we collect to provide or serve our Website, and maintain and improve the Website, including understanding the content that our visitors find valuable, troubleshooting errors, advancing information security, and understanding website traffic patterns.
- To provide information you’ve requested. We will inform you – via the email address you provide us – of other initiatives, news, requests for applications, and job opportunities related to CZI.
- To communicate with you. We may also use your information to directly communicate with you about your use of the Website or to respond to an email or submission from you.
- 3.2. Other Services Information
We use information provided to us from Other Services to understand the particular materials or links we posted to those Other Services that users found most valuable and to inform our marketing efforts.
- 3.3. Advertising
Our Website does not include advertisements for third-party goods and services. However, we may use advertising, on our Website or on other third party websites, to promote the products, programs, and services that we provide and/or support. Subject to your settings, we may use your email address or cookies to direct ads for our own programs to you on third-party sites. We have used third-party cookies to inform our marketing and digital content efforts and to serve CZI Website visitors with marketing and digital content messages about CZI and our work in the past 12 months.
Please review this FAQ to learn more about how we use third party cookies and to exercise your control and choice over their use, including advertising.
- 3.4. Notice of Right to Opt-Out of Sale/Sharing
As stated in Section 3.3, we may use third-party advertising cookies on our Website, which collect internet or other electronic network activity information, in order to help us deliver advertising about services or issues that may be of interest to you. Under California law, this practice is considered to be “sharing” of personal information and may also be deemed a “sale” of such information. You can opt-out of this practice by clicking this Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information link or the link provided in the footer of our homepage and turn off the toggle switch for Marketing and Social Media Cookies. You may also be able to opt-out by broadcasting the Global Privacy Control (“GPC”) signal from a supported browser (see Section 11.3 for more information).
4. Retention and Deletion
We will keep your information only for as long as we believe that we need it for the purpose we have collected it (as described above) or to meet legal obligations, resolve disputes, maintain security, prevent fraud and abuse, enforce our agreements with you, or fulfill your request to unsubscribe from further messages from us. When your information is no longer needed, we will destroy, de-identify, or aggregate it.
5. Disclosing Your Data
Except in the instances listed below, we will not disclose your personal information to others unless you consent to it:
- 5.1. Service Providers and Vendors
CZI works with vendors, service providers, and other partners that help us provide the Website by providing services on our behalf. These services are, for example, sending emails, performing statistical analysis, database management services, database hosting, providing customer support software, survey providers, and security. In the course of providing these services, our service providers may have access to your information, including personal information.
- 5.2. Legal and Safety Reasons
We may disclose information if we believe in good faith that it’s necessary (a) in connection with any legal investigation; (b) to comply with relevant laws or to respond to subpoenas or warrants served on us; (c) to protect or defend our rights or property or users of our Services or others; and/or (d) to investigate or assist in preventing any violation of the law.
- 5.3. CZI Entities
- 5.4. Reorganization, Sale or Merger
6. Choices and Rights over your Personal Information
- 6.1. Rights
You have the following rights with respect to the personal information we have about you:
- Delete data. You can ask us to erase or delete all or some of your personal information subject to our legal obligations and lawful exceptions.
- Change or correct personal information. You can also ask us to change, update or fix inaccurate data in certain cases, subject to our legal obligations and lawful exceptions.
- Right to access and/or take your personal information. You can ask us for a copy of your personal information in machine readable form.
- The right not to be discriminated against. CZI will not discriminate against you in any manner for exercising any of the above rights with respect to your personal information.
- Right to notice. You have a right to receive notice of our personal information collection, use, retention, and disclosure practices at or before collection of personal information.
If you would like to exercise your right to any of the above, email us at email@example.com. In the email, please provide us with your name, the country (and state if within the United States) in which you live, which of the above rights you would like to exercise, and sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify that you are the person about whom we collected personal information. If you would like an authorized agent to make a request for you, have that agent email firstname.lastname@example.org with the above information along with additional information sufficient for us to verify that the authorized agent is acting on your behalf.
Please also let us know if you have questions or concerns related to exercising any rights you have under applicable law to control your personal information.
If you would like to appeal a CZI decision with respect to a request to exercise any of these rights, please email us at email@example.com and explain the basis for your appeal.
If you wish to raise a concern about our use of your information (and without prejudice to any other rights you may have), you have the right to do so with your local supervisory authority.
- 6.2. Additional Controls
You have choices available to you through the device you use to access the Website. For example, your browser may let you control cookies and other types of local data storage. Where we receive information about you from Other Services (as described in Section 2.5 above), those Other Services – like social media sites – may offer their own controls around the data you choose to share with us.
7. Data Transfer
CZI is based in the United States; when you engage with the Website, you are sending personal information into the United States which may have different data protection rules than those of your country. We process data both inside and outside of the United States.
8. Our Legal Bases
We will collect, use and disclose your personal information only where we have a legal right to do so. This Section explains our legal bases for processing personal information, including under GDPR.
- 8.1. Consent.
We rely on consent to engage in certain data collection activities, such as when you sign up for our newsletter.
- 8.2. Legitimate Interests.
We rely on legitimate interests to process the data we collect when you browse our Website. We process this data based on our legitimate interest in understanding how our Website is being used and what you find valuable, and your legitimate interest in accessing our Website.
Where we rely on consent, you have the right to revoke your consent and where we rely on legitimate interests, you have the right to object by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the lawful bases on which we collect and use your personal information, please contact our Data Protection Officer via email atGDPR-REP@chanzuckerberg.com.
9. Additional Information for California Residents
The California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) requires certain businesses to give California residents a number of rights regarding their personal information. We are offering these rights to you, including the right to have your personal information deleted (subject to certain exceptions), the right to change or correct your personal information, the right to limit the use or disclosure of your sensitive personal information (if applicable), the right to access your personal information, the right to opt-out of the “selling” or “sharing” of personal information (if applicable), and the right not to be discriminated against for exercising these rights.
These rights, and how to exercise them, are described in more detail in Section 6 of this Policy Policy. In addition to these rights, we give you a right to request the following information about your personal information that we have collected in the past 12 months:
The Right to Know.
This right allows you to request the following information about the personal information that we’ve collected about you in the past 12 months:
- Information about Data Collection
- The categories of personal information that have been collected.
- The categories of sources from which we have collected personal information.
- The business purpose for which we have collected personal information.
- Information about Data Disclosure
- The categories of personal information, if any, that have been sold, shared, or disclosed for a business purpose to third parties.
- The categories of third parties to whom personal information was sold, shared, or disclosed for a business purpose.
- Identification of the specific business purpose for disclosing the personal information.
Information about Data Collection
- Information we collect. We have collected the following categories of personal information from consumers within the past 12 months: (1) identifiers; (2) internet or other electronic network activity; (3) geolocation data; and (4) inferences drawn from internet or other electronic network activity.
Information about Data Disclosure
- Information we disclose. We have disclosed the following categories of personal information within the past 12 months: (1) identifiers; (2) internet or other electronic network activity; (3) geolocation data; and (4) inferences drawn from internet or other electronic network activity.
10. Additional Information for Residents of Virginia, Colorado, Connecticut, and Utah
Virginia, Colorado, Connecticut, and Utah also have adopted privacy laws that give consumers certain rights, including the right to confirm whether businesses are processing the consumer’s personal information, the right to access that data, the right to obtain a copy of that data, the right to correct inaccuracies in that data, and the right to delete that data. As discussed above in Section 6, CZI provides these rights to all consumers, regardless of where they reside.
Additionally, these four states have adopted rights to opt-out of: (1) targeted advertising; (2) the sale of personal information; and (3) profiling in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects concerning the consumer. These laws define “sale” broadly such that our use of third-party advertising cookies could be considered a sale of personal information. You can opt-out of targeted advertising and the sale of personal information, by clicking the link in Section 3.4 or the Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information link in the footer of the Website and turn off the toggle switch for Marketing and Social Media Cookies. You may also be able to opt-out by broadcasting the GPC signal from a supported browser (see Section 11.3 for more information). CZI does not profile consumers in furtherance of decisions that produce legal or similarly significant effects.
11. Other Important Information
- 11.1. Security of Your Information
Security of personal information is important to us. We implement security safeguards designed to protect your personal information, including reasonable administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to protect personal information from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and destruction. Despite these efforts, we cannot guarantee that your data may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by a breach of any of our physical, technical, or administrative safeguards. Please notify us immediately at email@example.com if you become aware of any security issues relating to our Services.
- 11.2. Your Communications Preferences
The personal information you voluntarily provide for our mailing lists allows us to keep you posted on our latest announcements, requests for applications, job opportunities, and upcoming events. If you no longer want to be on our mailing lists, you can opt-out anytime by updating your preferences. You may update your preferences or request to unsubscribe from our mailing lists by using the “Manage Preferences” link at the bottom of any email sent to a CZI mailing list. You may also send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting to unsubscribe.
- 11.3. Opt-Out Preference Signal
Some browsers and browser extensions support the GPC or similar controls that can send a signal to a website you visit indicating your choice to opt-out from certain types of data processing, including data sales and/or targeted advertising, as specified by applicable law. When we detect such a signal, we will make reasonable efforts to respect your choices indicated by a GPC setting or similar control that is recognized by regulation or otherwise widely acknowledged as a valid opt-out preference signal.
- 11.4. Children
The Services are not designed or intended for children under 16. We do not have actual knowledge that we have sold or shared the personal information of users under 16 years of age. If we become aware that we have the information of such children collected through the Services, we will promptly delete it.
- 11.6. Contact Information
- 2.1. From You