Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) partners and leaders will be participating in panels at this year’s ASU+GSV Summit in San Diego, CA April 17-19. The panels will focus on key issues in education, technology and impact investing. Join us at the following to learn more:
Monday, April 17 3:00 – 4:00 PM PT – Coronado D, Level 4
Join leaders in K-12 as they reflect on the current challenges and opportunities related to addressing mental health and well-being in schools and communities, as well as strategies and initiatives being implemented or proposed to support students and educators socially and emotionally. The panel will delve into the importance of partnerships and collaboration between different stakeholders to support students’ and educators’ mental health and well-being. Additionally, the panel will discuss the role of technology in addressing mental health, including virtual counseling and other digital resources to support students and educators.
- Jared Joiner | Director of Education Practice, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (moderator)
- Aaliya Samuel | President & CEO, CASEL
- Kyla Johnson-Trammell | Superintendent, Oakland Unified School District
- Oliver Sicat | CEO & Co-Founder, Ednovate and OpenSeat
- Rebecca Benghiat | President & COO, The Jed Foundation
- Stephen Smith | CEO, Intellispark
Monday, April 17 3:50-4:30 PM PT – Harbor F, Level 2
Consumers need to love your product. They need to need it. Just because you build it doesn’t mean they’ll come. Join us as we sit down with people who have created some of the stickiest and most beloved products in education today. We will discuss the recipes for building products people become obsessed with — and how to channel your budget into product building rather than paid marketing.
- Kristin Vincent | Product Design Director (Education), Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (moderator)
- Annie Chechitelli | CPO, Turnitin
- Brian Shultz | CPO, Tango
- Cem Kansu | VP of Product, Duolingo
- Jonathan Rochelle | VP of Product (Learning), LinkedIn
- Ope Bukola| CEO, Kibo
Tuesday, April 18 10:10 – 10:50 AM PT – Coronado A, Level 4
Innovations within traditional public schools are needed now more than ever. Join a fireside chat with five reformers: Thomas Arnett, Sr Research Fellow at the Clayton Christensen Institute whose work focuses on disruptive innovation, who will talk about the conditions needed for transformational change; Jennie Magiera, Global Head of Education Impact at Google; Jeff Riley, Commissioner of Education for Massachusetts; Bob Runcie, leader of Chiefs for Change and former school superintendent; Brooke Stafford-Brizard, VP for Research-to-Practice at ChanZuckerberg; and Alan Safran, co-founder and CEO of the nation’s most trusted partner for high impact tutoring, Saga Education, a nonprofit helping the nation to get tutoring right. Mr Safran hosts the fireside chat with a vision for what the classroom of 5 years from now can and should look like, how we’ll get from there to here, and what will be the new roles of the classroom teacher and a team of in-class (remote!) tutors working together.
- Alan Safran | CEO and co-founder, SAGA Innovations (moderator)
- Brooke Stafford-Brizard | VP, Research to Practice at Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
- Jeffrey Riley | Commissioner for the Department of Elementary Education, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Jennie Magiera | Global Head of Education Impact, Google
- Robert Runcie | Chief in Residence, Chiefs for Change
- Thomas Arnett | Senior Research Fellow (Education), Clayton Christensen Institute
Tuesday, April 18: 1:00-1:50 p.m. PT – Balboa A, Level 2
Come join a lively discussion with our Education team at Chan Zuckerberg Initiative on how teacher-student connections can help lay the foundation for thriving, supportive classrooms. Together, we’ll explore how teachers can effectively use student perspectives to shape and inform their instruction to accelerate learning and what school leaders like yourself need to build a community built on strong relationships. The workshop will invite school leaders to discuss and share their own experiences on how to support a school environment built on connections and leave with direct, actionable ways to apply to their site.
- Jared Joiner | Director of Education Practice, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
- Grace Kuo | Senior Product Marketing Manager, Along
- Samia Zaidi | Program Director, Along
Tuesday, April 18 3:20 – 4:00 PM PT – Harbor H, Level 2
“Impact investing” is a dirty phrase to many, seen as an excuse for lower returns, a rationale for higher fees, or a smokescreen for just another education investment firm. Yet the promise of making a measurable and systemic difference when investing in Edtech remains attractive to many, and some are being rigorous in their approach. Just some of the questions we will address: How is this done? What is necessary from LPs? How do you measure success well?
- Andrea Mainelli | Senior Advisor, Tyton Partners (moderator)
- James Kim | Partner, Reach Capital
- John Rogers | Partner, TPG Rise Fund
- Jon Samuels | Partner and Co-Head, Vistria PRG, The Vistria Group
- Marc Sternberg | Co-Founder & Managing Director, A-Street, A-Street Ventures
- Vivian Wu | Managing Partner, Ventures at Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
About the Chan Zuckerberg InitiativeThe Chan Zuckerberg Initiative was founded in 2015 to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges — from eradicating disease and improving education, to addressing the needs of our communities. Through collaboration, providing resources and building technology, our mission is to help build a more inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone. For more information, please visit chanzuckerberg.com.